Saturday, August 28, 2010

Massage day at Casa La Lanchita








We decided to treat ourselves to a massage so we headed over to the place where she works. Apparently, a friend of hers owns a small hotel called Casa La Lanchita, which is in the town of Isabel situated on a hilltop overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. Talk about a perfect location! I spent time talking with the owner who is originally from Boston but lived in New York for many years before deciding to buy the hotel, which he’s owned for about 25 years. It was originally much smaller than it’s current incarnation, and he showed me pictures of what it looked like originally and the additions/renovations he’s made over the years. Apparently when hurricane Hugo blew through here back in 89 or there abouts, it actually helped him out because it cleared out some of the sea grape plants that were obstructing some of the view. At any rate, the view is stunning - there are multiple balconies from where you can see Vieques’ sister island, Culebra as well as other smaller island that you can only get to with a private boat. In addition, there is a spectacular view of the main island of Puerto Rico.

At some point, he added on an open air tower that you get to via a series of stairways and this is where the massage therapist, Ingrid Bergman - gotta love the name - does her massage. This being the first time I’ve gotten a massage in a warm, tropical climate, I didn’t realize that instead of draping a sheet over me and just exposing the areas she would work on, which is what I’m used to, she just offered a bath towel to lay across your….umm…..private area. Makes sense, right? It’s warm and pleasant so no need for a big sheet I figured. The only glitch is that as you’re laying there relaxing, a lovely sea breeze comes along and, WHOOPS - there goes the towel! Yes, I was laying there comfortably making small talk when all the sudden off flew the towel and my bum was exposed for all the world to see. Thank God for quick reflexes, though - I reached back and snatched the towel before it completely blew away and quickly tucked it back in place. Good ole Ingrid, though, didn’t miss a beat and just kept on chatting. I’m guessing this wasn’t the first time a bit of exposure has occurred in the massage tower. Does make it a bit hard to relax, though, when a stiff breeze blows through and you’re just hoping you‘re sufficiently tucked…….

Having survived my indecent exposure, I took some pictures around the property and Jim took some of me waving from the tower as well. I’ve probably been spoiled by the best massage therapist in the world…..Elaine…..so it didn’t quite compare to what I’m used to, but the break from the routine was certainly enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment