Friday, July 23, 2010

Mothra Invades


How strange”, I thought to myself, “A bird is trying to get inside”. We were laying in bed and it was early, approximately 6 a.m. when we heard a flutter of wings against the screen upstairs. Seemed strange, but at this stage of the game, my tolerance for the strange or bizarre had been stretched considerably. After awhile the sound diminished so I didn’t think anymore about it and dozed back off. Shortly thereafter, Jim got up and went downstairs to make coffee. “David, you won’t believe this” I heard after a few minutes……that’s never a good way to start the day, by the way. So I slid out from under the net tent, got dressed and headed downstairs.

What the…..????” I exclaimed (yes, I actually did exclaim) - the fluttering was louder and coming from downstairs. Apparently, the creature was inside trying to get out, not outside trying to get in. And it wasn’t a bird at all but a moth the size of a bird. I would guess a Chickadee. Help me Jesus. It was huge (see pictures above for the stunning details. I mean, this thing would have covered the palm of my hand - not that I would ever have gotten close enough to it to find out). The Chickamoth was fluttering madly about the kitchen and I was sure that at any moment it would knock a coffee cup or plate onto the floor in it’s frenzied state. What were we to do? Maybe leave a trail of crackers, or old sweaters, or whatever it is that Chickamoths like, leading out the door? Hmmm……..this would take some expert handling. Oh Jim…..? True to his valiant nature, he calmly put a cup over the flying terror (or, more likely, terrified flyer), slid a piece of paper underneath and very carefully went outside with it. Off it flew, into the jungle, to wake us up another day. Phew………coffee anyone???

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of Silence of the Lambs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No doubt!! It's crazy, I tell you......

    Hugs,

    David

    ReplyDelete